Saturday 11 February 2017

Wardrobe or closet? Differences between British and American English.

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since the last time I posted something but these have been busy weeks for me. In today's entry I would like to talk about some differences between British and American English. Sometimes, when speaking we hesitate between one word and another. You don't know if you should say I've just seen a fantastic movie or I've just seen a fantastic film. But it is the same, isn't it? Well, it is the same but to a certain extent. None of the sentences is wrong and we have to keep that in mind. However, the difference is in the English you are speaking: American or British. 

As everything in life, we have to be coherent and consistent when speaking, writing and so on. Thus if we are performing a discourse in British English it is not coherent to say I got lost in the highway, when we should say I got lost in the motorway, because it would be the same as introducing a word typical from Catalonia in a Valencian discourse. The word would be probably correct but the Valencian speaker would notice there is something fishy in that sentence. 

In my opinion, the problem we face here is that sometimes we don't know when we are using an American or a British word. But why? I think it is because at school, high school or any other academic field we are usually taught British English. However, if we watch films or series we often tend to listen to American English. That is why you might not understand the sentence I put it in my wardrobe but you do know the meaning of I put it in my closet. Most of the films and series or TV programs we see are American (or at least that is my case), but at school we are usually taught British English and maybe that is the reason why we rather spell certain words in British English but introduce some American words in our speech. If you knew that information you might not face the problem I'm talking about. Nevertheless, if you don't know about it, you may be using the "right" word but in an inappropriate context

That is the reason why I found this infographic so interesting, because it shows the differences between American and British words in a visual way and it doesn't only point out the difference between words but also the spelling of some words which are written differently in America and in England.

I hope you find it as appealing as I did and remember that whether you choose to speak American or British English it is okay, but be coherent!

British vs. American English: 63 Differences (Infographic)
Source: www.grammarcheck.net

By the way, if you want to practise your listening of either American or British English here I leave a list of some of my favorite films and series you can watch to be aware of the differences between one and another. (Click on the links to be directed to a film's synopsis, I don't want you to spend hours watching a film you don't enjoy!)

American English films:

1. The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)
2. 12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen, 2013)
3. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)
4. The Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring (Peter Jackson, 2001) (actually, I recommend the whole trilogy, extended version)
5. Finding Neverland (Marc Forster, 2004)

British English films:

1. CLEARLY, the whole Harry Potter saga (Chris Columbus, Alfonso Cuarón, Mike Newell & David Yates, 2001-2011). (Yes, I'm a Potterhead)
2. Man On Wire (James Marsh, 2008)
3. We Need to Talk about Kevin (Lynne Ramsay, 2011)

American English series:
3. Stanger Things (2016)
4. Modern Family (2009)
5. Awkward (2011)
6. The 100 (2014)
8. Breaking Bad (2008-2013)

British English series:
1. Vikings (actually Irish) (2013)
2. Peaky Blinders (2013)
3. Misfits (2009-2013)
4. Taboo (2017)
5. Black Mirror (2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment